Saturday, April 16, 2016

Open Post to Peer Reviewers

        Here's the Rough Copy so far, I hope you enjoy it and please, I implore you to give me feedback.

Anticipations
          Based on how much I got done this week so far, I have high hopes for how much I'll be able to get done to finished everything up as well as high hopes for how well final editing will go ultimately.

Key Info
           Information that may be important for you to know; this subject is close to my heart, as most dealing with the queer community are, I've tried not to argue from that perspective in the work, making it more about grammar and general courtesy to other humans and not something on the "gay agenda"

Weaknesses
           A weakness that may be apparent is that I have a strong opinion on the subject and worry that I have not addressed the counter arguments to this idea properly, or in depth enough, also I never truly found good sources for the counterargument side.

Strengths
            Essays are my best genre to work in, I have a god mastery on how they will sound and be read, and taken by the people reading them. Hopefully that will work for me and make it sound more credible ultimately.

                                                                  Rough Copy

3 comments:

  1. Your subject is personally very important to me. Gender neutral pronouns are essential in a progressive society where not everyone, as you put, "fits into the perfect square of gender." However, I do have some suggestions, such as your concluding paragraph. I really think you could increase the length by re-iterating your thoughts from both your introductory and body paragraphs. Maybe even include a quote that would sum up your entire argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rough cut is interesting but could use some bolstering in the counter arguments and a more detailed explanation of the issue as a whole.
    I think that you should more directly confront the opposing arguments. While I agree that the arguments that we don't need a neuter pronoun are ridiculous, you need to more fully explain and counter them. This may make it harder to maintain an objective tone, but it will strengthen your argument.
    I think that the essay could be bolstered by bringing in a bit of a linguistics perspective, to explain how changes in language work. This could also serve as a good counter to the non-they pronouns. If you want to use this approach I'd advise talking to Dr. Amy Fountain of our Linguistics department. She's very helpful and friendly.
    A great essay so far, best of luck on post production.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexis,

    Your rough cut is solid. Like you stated you definitely need more counter arguments but these are pretty hard to find for this topic. I think you can strengthen your essay by adding some quotes on why language is the way it is or maybe if people are against gender neutral pronouns (wherever they are) use some quotes from them.

    ReplyDelete