Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Me (cast in the role of): A Writer

     As a blog is nearly entirely composed of personal writing it's important for those reading this to understand who I am as a writer. To accomplish  this goal of explaining me as a writer I've decided to base my explanation off some questions:

What type(s) of writer do you consider yourself?
     I consider myself a mixture of the Procrastinator; delaying writing until it's essentially the final draft, and the Heavy Reviser; writing out my ideas as they come to me in spurts and with little planning and then just revise the paper until it's fit to be turned in. Seemingly opposite techniques but what I consider best to describe my writing processes.

Does your writing process include several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?
     My writing process includes both of the above approaches in part. I fit the procrastinator role, not to the most extreme "night before" deadline but most often I wait later than I should to begin writing important works. Then, like the Heavy Reviser approach, I begin my writing with very little planning, preferring instead to write as I think of ideas or formulate my arguments to later revise.

Coffman, Drew. "Writer's Block I" 07/19/2010 via Flickr. Attribution 2.0 Generic

Does your writing process seem to be successful? What are the strengths and weaknesses of your approach?
     Personally, I find my writing to be as successful as I need it to be. I most usually get my point across and if it's an assignment I receive good scores.
     The strengths of my approach to writing include a flexibility as I write, without a strict outline or plan I can change arguments if something more compelling could be presented. A weakness to my approach is that if I procrastinate for too long the writing or ideas within the writing can seem disconnected or not fully formulated .

Do you think it might be beneficial for you to try a different approach? Why or why not?
     I think it could be beneficial to try a different approach in my writing, mostly because I recognize my writing could stand to have some improvements made to it. While I'm wary of changing how I go about writing, at this point, it would be beneficial to put more time and effort into more planning. Increasing the amount of before hand planing and decreasing the amount of spur of the moment writing may give my writing a more linear and understandable form.


     Hopefully this has explained in enough detail for you to understand both me as a writer and my writing technique. Enjoy the reading experience!



No comments:

Post a Comment