Saturday, January 23, 2016

Course Projects

As English courses are at least in part structured to improve writing skills it would make sense that there would be multiple projects to ensure this; or in this classes case, four projects: The Controversy Postmortem, The Rhetorical Analysis, A Public Argument, and The Reflective Self-Assessment.  

Four Major Projects= Four Major Breakdowns
     Most of the nerves I feel about these projects mostly come from fear of the possible extreme difficulties of the projects. Not only must we begin to dissect the controversies within our fields of study but we have to choose how to present these in a form engaging and that will get a point across effectively and without confusion. Not impossible tasks but daunting ones nevertheless. I know that within my own procrastinating way of doing things that I may set myself up to have a bad time if I don't properly prepare.

Excited Yet?
     I am quite excited to have the opportunity to research more into the discourses within my field of study. And it is also intriguing to be trying different genres of "writing" to form arguments and to prove points. While the traditional essay can be effective, it's a more fun way to try to be more in the modern media way of making points so that we can not be stuck in the past way of doing things. Learning to adapt to what is used most can hemp ensure our arguments are heard where they need to be.
Thoeny, Peter. "Waah, Santa Clause!!" 12/8/2013 via Flickr.
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic

Always Plan Ahead
     The main thing for these projects will be the planning one has to conduct even before starting to plan the argument that's going to be made. For these projects a large part of the planning ahead needs to be deciding which genre should go for which project, which medium will work best and which one you can manipulate best. Then specifically for each project genre there may be necessary tools you need to collects; recorders, video cameras, making sure that you have the programs to edit and make what you need. 
      There is also within each project a large amount of research that needs to be done and done thoroughly to make sure you can formulate arguments or ideas about whatever topics. Especially within the Rhetorical Analysis you need to plan ahead to interview people.

Under or Over Prepared?
      I think my high school English course has substantially prepared me for this course. Had to do many rhetorical analysis within the class and dissecting of readings. As well as a video project that helped foster my video editing and creating skills. Besides previous school learned skills, outside of class I have learned how to make a podcast, using the proper recording equipment and editing sound to make it sound more professional, which should hopefully help within this course.

Any Questions?
      At the moment most of the project makes sense to me, except for one part; I'm a little confused on how peer reviews will work, but I'm sure a closer review of the syllabus would actually clear that up.


Reflections

Ben Barnett on the Course Projects: Ben's descriptions of the course projects and his own concerns have made me realize I'm going to need to change the way I usually go about doing projects. There is substantially more pre-production than I am used to.
Neeraj Vij on the Course Projects: Raj made many good points within his post about the importance of scheduling the research of the project and also the concerns over having ongoing discourses to be able to analyze and discuss the sides of within a field of study.

2 comments:

  1. "Not impossible tasks but daunting nonetheless" really resonated with me the most in your post! I relate to the procrastination fear you talked about, I think the necessity for planning will really help me kick that habit. I also relate to the excitement for moving past the traditional essays, these new techniques will be fun to explore I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four Major Projects = Four Major Breakdowns. I couldn't agree more! I'm also really nervous about encountering future problems in our projects because I've never had to compose anything beyond a standard typed-out essay for high school, so I have no idea how I will go about solving AV issues if/when they arise. That's definitely one advantage you have over me: your experience with multi-media projects for a grade. Your motivation also seems to be a huge drive for you, so I don't think you have to worry too much about anything! Just keep on top of it all, like you said yourself, and everything should be fine!

    ReplyDelete